Who we are

We live in the Dominican Republic and work with Young Life International. Jake works at Pico Escondido, a Young Life camp that serves Dominicans in this country as well as work teams from the states. We are both currently volunteers with Vida Joven, YL in Spanish, and I (Kyla) am a full-time mom. We want to keep you informed about our lives and our ministry as well as share some encouragement along the way. Read more to find out what God has been doing in our lives!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Life goes on




Obla-dee-obla-dah life goes oooon, oh how the life goes on... Remember that TV show? Now that I think about it, it was one of my favorites. It's crazy how life goes on. On Thursday I am celebrating my 29th birthday, wow. I know, I'm not that old, but it is pretty wild that ten years ago I was 19, and that used to feel "old" to me. Now I am the mother of two children, we are a family of four, and life looks so much more different than life at 19. I do miss the freedom of being childless at times, but never would I replace it with the wonderful fullness that I am now experiencing as a mother and wife. So what does life look like right now?

Well, slowly but surely we are adjusting to two children. We are still trying to convince Asher to sleep through the night. We spend an hour to two hours, depending on the evening, feeding Asher, burping Asher, changing Asher and lulling him back to sleep. My wonderful husband helps me with all of those things and tries to stay awake by killing mosquitoes in our room with our electric racquet. It's really quite funny because after killing about five or six very large mosquitoes, full of our blood, Jake looks like he has just slayed a dragon. I am relieved for the entertainment too as I can usually barely keep my eyes open and remember that there is a child in my arms as I feed Asher.

What else? Judah is constantly making us laugh. He is funnier than Jake and I combined, which is pretty funny :) He likes to be really loud when we are trying to get Asher to sleep, I would say he knows what's going on. His favorite animals are hepecants (elephants), weegas (zebras), lali (lion), and gatos (lagarto=lizard in spanish). He loves to speak Spanish to anyone who will listen, his favorite word to repeat over and over is harriba (arriba or up). He is also very sweet. He is a good sharer, shares his toys with Asher, snacks with Mommy and kisses with his favorite little friends.

Besides that we are keeping busy, prepping for the summer and enjoying loving Jesus and loving the people he has put in our lives. I have really been excited about spending more quality time in the word and making my time with God a bigger priority. The more time I spend with Him the more I fall in love with Him. I am constantly reminded to tend this relationship and realizing that HE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN MY LIFE! It's not about what I do or what I have, it's about knowing Him! I don't have to worry or be concerned about other things, when I am spending time with the Lord and meditating on his word and praying constantly, He will answer all of my questions or at least put me at ease. So, with that being said, I am going to fill myself up with Jesus and spend time with him before the two kiddos are awake!

Love you all, whoever reads this, thanks for listening...
Kyla

No comments: