Who we are

We live in the Dominican Republic and work with Young Life International. Jake works at Pico Escondido, a Young Life camp that serves Dominicans in this country as well as work teams from the states. We are both currently volunteers with Vida Joven, YL in Spanish, and I (Kyla) am a full-time mom. We want to keep you informed about our lives and our ministry as well as share some encouragement along the way. Read more to find out what God has been doing in our lives!

Thursday, June 30, 2011


When I look at Judah it's hard to believe that he is already two! These past few years have been an amazing journey learning how to take care of him. We have learned and grown so much. It's awesome now to see the fruit of our labor and to see Judah's personality more everyday.

Yesterday Jake was at planning meeting for the next Vida Joven club so I was at home with the two boys and instead of having an extra hand I was doing the nightly routine on my own. I have to hand it to single parents, it's no easy task being outnumbered. I was outside watering our yard, I put Asher in the stroller so he could be in on the action and Judah helped me water. This usually turns into him drenching himself with the hose or bucket and I end up stripping him down to a diaper. Well, last night he found a leaf from a huge tree in our yard and started pretending it was a turtle. What amazed me most was that this lasted a half-hour. He continued to entertain himself finding turtles and flying them around the yard. He loved it so much he brought one in the house.

I love birthdays because not only is it a great time to celebrate those we love, but it's a good time for us parents to reflect on our children's lives. The days might be long, but the years sure fly by! I hope I can remember that when I'm exhausted and can't imagine several more years of being at home with the boys. It really does go by fast and I want to savor every moment. Judah's calling my name to come color turtles, so I guess I better go now!

No comments: