Who we are

We live in the Dominican Republic and work with Young Life International. Jake works at Pico Escondido, a Young Life camp that serves Dominicans in this country as well as work teams from the states. We are both currently volunteers with Vida Joven, YL in Spanish, and I (Kyla) am a full-time mom. We want to keep you informed about our lives and our ministry as well as share some encouragement along the way. Read more to find out what God has been doing in our lives!

Friday, December 11, 2009

A View From the Top: Conquering Mogote




People often use physical feats such as mountain climbing as analogies for our faith. Jesus himself talked about mountains and our faith being able to move mountains, if we have faith as big as a mustard seed. Somehow we need those reminders, those real-life, tangible examples in order to understand what we are being told. We can hear a lot of "truth" but until we actually go through it, experience it, live it; it doesn't become a part of us. Last Saturday, some important truths became a part of me.
Jake and I, along with around 75 campers and leaders, hiked Mogote, the mountain behind Pico Escondido, the Young Life camp Jake works at. We attended Growth Camp with the youth from Pinar Quemado, along with our son, Judah. As part of Growth Camp, we hiked this grueling mountain (without Judah) to truly experience our walk with God, the ups and downs, the sweat and difficulty, and the reward of the view from the top. We got to celebrate the victory of accomplishing what we had set out to do. It was not easy, but at the end of the day, starting at 5 am and finishing at 2 pm, we did it.
So what did I take away from this experience? The truth that our walk with Christ will be difficult, challenging, and easy to give up. But if I will allow him to sustain me, work through me, encourage me, feed me, pick me up, I will see that he has been there all along. I will see a new perspective, his perspective, and as I get closer to the top, my worries and fears will disappear as his truth, joy and love are magnified like the bright morning sun.

No comments: